Monday, July 14, 2008

Doing some taping

The bar tape on the road bike finally gave up on the last road ride. Guess I can't complain, it lasted over 5000 miles. Come to think of it, the entire bike has been phenominal. Over its well used and often abused life, the 105 components have recieved 1 tune-up, and that was the free tune-up the bike shop gives you after you've had it for two weeks. It's been the workhorse in the fleet for over two years, outlasting every other bike I have ever had by about a year and a half. Here's to the Allez Comp...!!! As a reward for its years of thoughtless service, I have decked it out with a Saweet two tone bar-tape job. Nice huh?? Its my first attempt and only took me about an hour and a half...and the grips feel ALMOST equal...
Since I had a little left over, I figured I would add a little flair to the ZION. I never really liked the grips I had for it and the tape adds a little more cush for those long gravel grinders.

Edit: Wouldn't you know...all this gloating about the Allez Comp and I have found a potential problem. I had developed a bad creak in the handlebar area following my ride on Thursday. I assumed some dirt just got between the stem plate and the handlebars so I wasn't in a rush to fix it. The noise got worse and worse and now sounds like the noise the old Fisher made when there was a crack in the head tube. So I took stem and handlebars apart gave em a good wipe down...no change. Hmmm. Took the handlebars back off and Im still able to reproduce the sound. So hopefully its just something with the headset. I'll take it to MOAB for a diagnosis when I get back from Breckenridge...cross your fingers!!!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Now that you're a pro, wanna retape my Crosscheck??

tape looks good! I like it on the mtb bike

Mike said...

I'll do it for you but my fee's are outrageous.

cornfed said...

nice gaywack wrap.

(I thought this was a camping blog?)