Saturday, July 12, 2008

Good Week

Seems like I've been in a little funk about getting out and riding consitantly lately. I don't know if it was watching the tour or the impending Breckenridge 100, but I managed to get some really good rides in this week.


MONDAY:

Good ride to work following the long haul trucker weekend. I felt good riding in and even managed a hill sprint on the only hill worth mentioning on my commute to and from Vandy.


Thursday:

Distance was the name of the game today. I set out hoping for 60 or so miles. I ended up with fifty but had a blast while I was out. I meandered over to Waddell Hollow for one of the better climbs Williamson County has to offer. If your gonna ride it you might as well sprint it right?? So I sprinted past the wierd guy sitting in his yard. Sprinted by the rooster bound by his leg to a tree in said wierd guy's yard. Sprinted past the 13% grade mark on the pavement and kicked it for the finish. In a very Tour mood, I zipped my jersey so the camera's could catch my sponsor and threw my arms up in victory. In doing so I nearly road off the pavement. Hands on the handlbars idiot!!! The remainder of the ride was spent trying to outrun the dark clouds tht were rolling in...I failed. One gulleywasher and stop under a gas station overhand and I headed home...Great ride with what seemed like endless legs.

Friday:

I decided I wanted to do some hill repeats so I sought out the 5 hardest climbs I new of within my 40 mile loop. I hit Old Charlotte, Fire Tower Rd, Pond Creek, and McCrory. Unfortunately I couldn't remember where the fifth hill was and ended up missing it. Regardless it gave me my build in excuse for Saturday's ride. "hey guys if I suck today its cause I hit it hard yesterday"


Saturday:

Group ride with Thad, Greg, Jeremy, and Jason. Lots of good times and hijinks as usual. Notable highlights included 2 creek crossings (I think Jeremy, a roadie but still an all around good guy, enjoyed those the most), and numerous hills.
We ran in to some super nice country folk who welcomed us with the disconcerting "You boys aren't from around here are you?" and "You boys ever seen Deliverance?" We chatted with them for about twenty minutes as the man we called "gray beard" showed us around his property. It was priceless and this type of interaction would surely only happen on a J5 approved route.

We also had an encounter with a fellow who obviously did not read the "no shoes no shirt no service" sign on the door because he lacked all of the above plus some. We're not really sure what he was after but he was quoted as saying "lsdkfjdoilskdfjdoierkhoisldjfleiurkdaljf 932"

A nice couple of sprints with Jeremy towards the end and a cold beer at Casa De Marsupial were a great way to end a good week of riding. Tomorrow its off to the lake with the inlaws!!

3 comments:

cornfed said...

I think it ended in 931

cornfed said...

oh, and I thought this was a camping blog??

Unknown said...

Look at you, good formatting, linked pictures. You're steppin up the bliggidy blog.

Wonder if grey beard knows that no shirt guy, maybe he could translate for us.